- SSD Guides: http://thessdreview.com/category/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/
- View disks in solaris/opensuse: format
- Erase just the MBR and not the partition table: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=446 count=1
- Erase the MBR and partition table: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1
- LVM is capable of raid levels and in most cases is as performant as mdadm.
- When using LVM for raid don't forget to create your LV's with a stride that you can then match to your filesystem chunk size later.
- This script calculates recommended settings for creating ext2, ext3 or ext4 filesystems on RAID devices.
- If you'll be storing large files like movies you can set your chunk size to 512kb.
- Number of filesystem blocks in kb should almost always be 4.
- For linux distros there are now kernel modules for ZFS instead of just fuse.
- Check out ZFS on Linux